Game networking is a subset of computer networking that commonly covers transport protocols, data replication, entity synchronization, lag compensation, client-side prediction, server reconciliation, interest management, bandwidth optimization, physics rollback/fastforward simulation, anti-cheating and many other areas involved in multiplayer online game development.
Please feel free to contribute with your awesome resource as well, thank you!
Quick Jump: Articles - Talks - Libraries - Tools
- Game Developers Conference
- Unreal Engine Livestream
- Replication Graph - Epic’s dev-team demonstrates UE 4.20’s new Replication Graph feature.
- Server Optimizations - Ryan Gerleve and Dave Ratti to discuss server optimization techniques in UE4.
- Unreal Fest
- Unity Unite
- C / C++
- ENet - Simple and robust reliable UDP networking library.
- GameNetworkingSockets - Valve’s internal (Steam) network transport layer for games.
- GGPO - Good Game, Peace Out Rollback Network SDK.
- KCP - A fast and reliable ARQ protocol.
- RakNet - Full-featured and mature reliable UDP networking engine.
- TNL2 - (Inactive) Torque Networking Library 2 which is quite similar to TRIBES Networking Model.
- yojimbo - Reliable UDP networking library for client/server games with dedicated servers.
- Barebones Master Server - Backend framework with auth, profile, lobby, chat features for Unity.
- DarkRift 2 - Unity focused high-performance multi-threaded multiplayer networking solution.
- FishNet - Unity networking solution aimed towards reliability, ease of use, efficiency, and flexibility.
- Forge Networking - Unity focused real-time multiplayer networking solution.
- Lidgren.Network - Reliable UDP networking library (.NET/Mono/Unity).
- LiteNetLib - Lite reliable UDP networking library (.NET/Mono/Unity).
- MagicOnion - Unified Realtime/API framework for .NET platform and Unity.
- Mirror - A community replacement for Unity’s abandoned UNET Networking System.
- Netcode for GameObjects - Unity’s official high-level netcode SDK for GameObject workflows.
- NetStack - Lightweight toolset for creating concurrent networking systems for multiplayer games.
- Networker - TCP and UDP networking library (.NET/Unity).
- Normcore - Seamless multiplayer game networking for Unity (Cloud/SaaS).
- Photon Engine - Hybrid multiplayer game networking platform (Cloud/SaaS).
- RiptideNetworking - Lightweight C# networking solution for multiplayer games.
- SocketWeaver - Multiplayer cloud services designed for the Unity engine (Cloud/SaaS).
- Nakama - Open-source backend infrastructure for multiplayer games (also with Unity/C# SDK).
- GoWorld - Scalable Distributed Game Server Engine with Hot Swapping (and Unity demo!).
- SmartFoxServer - Massive multiplayer game server with advanced built-in features.
- Actionhero - A node.js API server framework for TCP sockets, websockets and HTTP clients.
- Colyseus - Authoritative multiplayer game server backend framework.
- Kalm - Socket manager/optimizer library with custom congestion control for Node.js and browsers.
- SocketCluster - Scalable multi-process HTTP & real-time server framework.
- CapAnalysis - Web visual tool to analyze captured network traffic. (Ubuntu, Debian)
- clumsy - Network condition simulation utility. (Windows)
- netem - Network emulation for testing protocols. (Linux)
- mitmproxy - Web debugging proxy server. (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Network Link Conditioner - Network environment simulation utility. (macOS, iOS)
- Network Protocol Analyzer - Tool for analysing, debugging and monitoring connections. (Windows)
- Network Simulator (ns) - Network simulator targeting research and educational use. (macOS, Linux)
- Postman - Web API debugging and development client. (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- websocat - CLI client for WebSockets like netcat or curl. (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Wireshark - Network traffic analyzer tool. (Windows, macOS, Linux)